Alaveteli powers the Freedom of Information sites (including in Malaysia); in 20+ languages, in more than 26 jurisdictions. So far, more than 315,000 requests for information has been fulfilled worldwide via this platform.
Below is a sample around the world how different countries have implemented their FOI sites using Alaveteli.
WhatDoTheyKnow (UK): https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/
- UK has the most matured implementation of FOI, the citizens are very engaged in the process and getting the information needed by their community
- The Alaveteli platform was derived from this first implementation
Ki Mit Tud (Hungary): http://kimittud.atlatszo.hu/
- Hungary has a very transparent government; FOI rights is enshrined in their constitution, any citizen can demand information from any tax-funded body
- AlaveteliCon Video – https://youtu.be/aKu54tb5LgI
Доступ до правди (Ukraine): https://dostup.pravda.com.ua/
- From ashes of conflict and civil war; Ukraine has demonstrated a fast, effective and successful implementation of FOI
- One tip shared for a very successful FOI implementation: Work with media to come up with engaging stories based on FOI requests – https://www.mysociety.org/2016/04/01/dostup-do-pravdy-the-secret-of-foi-success/
RighttoKnow.au (Australia): https://www.righttoknow.org.au/
- The Australian folks have used FOI to help empower marginalized communities; such as by highlighting the Refugee Crisis – http://detentionlogs.com.au/investigations
- Challenged and won acceptance of FOI requests via email and even Twitter!
- Rwanda is one of the few countries in Africa to have passed a FOI law; and has taken to leadership to take FOI requests via email, at no-charge to the requestor
- AlaveteliCon Video: https://youtu.be/5m–AL5dc10
Read more at the AlaveteliCon Report: https://www.mysociety.org/freedom-of-information/alaveteli/alavetelicon-2015/
Learnings from the Worldwide FOI Community: https://www.mysociety.org/2015/06/08/learnings-from-alavetelicon-2-the-challenges-are-the-same/
Leanrings to Promote use of Alaveteli: https://www.mysociety.org/2015/06/02/ten-ways-to-promote-alaveteli-sites/